- Social function
Explanation text explain how or why things happen. How pesticide affects farm productivity.
Expanation begins by identifying the phenomenon ( thing ) that will be explained. Then there is an explanation sequence which explains how things work.
The purpose of explanation text is to explain the processes involvedin the formation or workings of natural-curtural phenomena.
- Generic structure
· General statement : to position the reader
· Sequenced explanation : why something occurs
- Lexicorgrammatical features
· Focus on generic human and non human participants
· Use mainly of materials and realitional processes
· Use mainly of temporal and causal circumstences and conjunction
· Use of simple present tense
· Some use of passive voiceto get theme right